Thelemic Symposium 2008 ev
Saturday, March 29, 2008 EV
- ...thus we gather up all the threads of human passion and interest, and weave them into an harmonious tapestry, subtly and diligently with great art, that our Order may seem an ornament even to the Stars that are in the Heavens at Night. In our rainbow-coloured texture we set forth the glory of the whole Universe—See thou to it, brother Magician, that thine own thread be strong, and pure, and of a colour brilliant in itself, yet ready to mingle in all beauty with those of thy brethren!—Aleister Crowley, Liber CXCIV: An Intimation with Reference to the Constitution of the Order
Thelemic Symposium is a panel discussion and question/answer session engaging the considerable experience and knowledge of three long-time Thelemites. We are proud to present this, the seventh annual Symposium, featuring panelists Hank Hadeed, Anita Kraft, and M. Dionysius Rogers.
- Hank Hadeed is best known locally for his Past Mastership of Sekhet-Maat Lodge, and nationally in his current role as Grand Treasurer General for the U.S. Grand Lodge. He also holds a Ph.D., plays guitar, and much (more...)
- Anita Kraft is a student in academia as well as a student of life, a world traveler, a Bishop, current Master of Theorte Ekstasis and proud mother of two. (more...)
- M. Dionysius Rogers is Past Master of Scarlet Woman Lodge, founding organizer of Kaaba Colloquium and Unknown Rivers Thelemic Choir, current Bishop, and author of numerous essays, rituals, and other writings on Thelemic subjects. (more...)
The event will proceed as follows:
The Symposium will begin with the panelists introducing themselves by way of biographical and/or editorial commentary explaining their perspective on Thelema and how they came to embrace it.
After the introduction, each panelist will answer the following three questions. They have had time to prepare answers to these questions and they may, at their option, discuss each others' answers during this portion of the Symposium. The questions are:
- The debate between science and religion rages on in books, magazines, and television. How does Thelema address this age-old battle of ideas?
- What role will the children of today's Thelemites play in the future of our movement?
- If you could go back in time to the weeks following your first conscious identification as a Thelemite, what advice or counsel would you offer yourself?
Questions from the Audience
Following the "prepared answer" section, the audience will have an opportunity to pose questions to the panelists.
Finally, the Symposium will dissolve into a wine and hors d'oeuvres reception.
- Food & Drink
- Feast on a substantial selection of hors d'oeuvres and non-alcoholic beverages, included with admission. You'll also find microbrews and wines available for purchase.
- Sekhet-Maat Lodge will have a selection of items for sale, including abramelin oil, mugs, stickers, SML lamen t-shirts, posters, and more.
Saturday, March 29
Tickets available above.
- 6:30 PM - doors open.
- 7:30 PM - Symposium begins.
- 9:00 PM - brief break.
- 10:30 PM - Symposium ends.
- 10:30 PM - reception with cash bar and hors d'oeuvres.
Sunday, March 30
Suggested contribution of five dollars.
- 2:30 PM - doors open.
- 3:00 PM - doors close for celebration of the Gnostic Mass.
- Priest - Fr. Diapason
- Priestess - Sr. Isabella
- Deacon - Fr. Samekh ben Shahar
- Child - Fr. IOI
- Child - Sr. Aletheia Mnemonicas
Thelemic Symposium will not be Televised
Recording devices are prohibited at Thelemic Symposium. Non-flash photography is permitted. The restriction against recording is in the interest of promoting an atmosphere of immediacy, encouraging the panelists to speak candidly, and minimizing the "audience/performer" dynamic. Mediated content is very easy to find in the world today in video, audio, and text formats. Immediate content is rare, and Symposium aims to preserve a sense of immediacy because the topic is so personal. Panelists may choose to publish their prepared material on their own, but that's as close as you can get without attending.
Read about previous years' Symposia by browsing through our Past Special Events page.