Thelemic Symposium 2006 ev
Saturday, March 11, 2006 ev
- ...thus we gather up all the threads of human passion and interest, and weave them into an harmonious tapestry, subtly and diligently with great art, that our Order may seem an ornament even to the Stars that are in the Heavens at Night. In our rainbow-coloured texture we set forth the glory of the whole Universe—See thou to it, brother Magician, that thine own thread be strong, and pure, and of a colour brilliant in itself, yet ready to mingle in all beauty with those of thy brethren!—Aleister Crowley, Liber CXCIV: An Intimation with Reference to the Constitution of the Order
Thelemic Symposium is a panel discussion and question/answer session engaging the considerable experience and knowledge of three long-time Thelemites. We are proud to present this, the fourth annual Symposium, featuring panelists M Lisa Faulkner, Doug James, and Karen James.
- M Lisa Faulkner is E.G.C. Secretary for U.S. Grand Lodge. (more...)
- Doug James founded 93 Lodge and served as Grand Secretary General for U.S. Grand Lodge. (more...)
- Karen James is the prime mover of an annual re-creation of the ancient Eleusinian mysteries. (more...)
The event will proceed as follows:
The Symposium will begin with the panelists introducing themselves by way of biographical and/or editorial commentary explaining their perspective on Thelema and how they came to embrace it.
After the introduction, each panelist will answer the following three questions. They have had time to prepare answers to these questions and they may, at their option, discuss each others' answers during this portion of the Symposium.
- What do you think initiation is?
- What major differences have you found, comparing your present perspective on Thelema to when you first approached the Work?
- How do you personally distinguish between syncretism and the "smorgasbord approach" in Thelema?
Questions from the Audience
Following the "prepared answer" section, the audience will have an opportunity to pose questions to the panelists.
Finally, the Symposium will dissolve into a wine and hors d'oeuvres reception.
- Food & Drink
- Feast on a substantial selection of hors d'oeuvres and non-alcoholic beverages, included with admission. You'll also find microbrews and wines available for purchase.
- Sekhet-Maat Lodge will have a selection of items for sale, including abramelin oil, mugs, stickers, SML lamen t-shirts, posters and more.
Saturday, March 11
Tickets available below.
- 6:30 PM - doors open.
- 7:30 PM - Symposium begins.
- 9:00 PM - brief break.
- 10:30 PM - Symposium ends.
- 10:30 PM - reception with cash bar and hors d'oeuvres.
Sunday, March 12
Suggested contribution of five dollars.
- 2:30 PM - doors open.
- 3:00 PM - doors close for celebration of the Gnostic Mass.
See the calendar entry for a listing of celebrants when this information becomes available.
Thelemic Symposium will not be Televised
Recording devices are prohibited at Thelemic Symposium. Non-flash photography is permitted. The restriction against recording is in the interest of promoting an atmosphere of immediacy, encouraging the panelists to speak candidly, and minimizing the "audience/performer" dynamic. Mediated content is very easy to find in the world today in video, audio, and text formats. Immediate content is rare, and Symposium aims to preserve a sense of immediacy because the topic is so personal. Panelists may choose to publish their prepared material on their own, but that's as close as you can get without attending.
Read about previous years' Symposia by browsing through our Past Special Events page.