Thelemic Symposium 2002 ev
Saturday, February 16, 2002 ev
- ...thus we gather up all the threads of human passion and interest, and weave them into an harmonious tapestry, subtly and diligently with great art, that our Order may seem an ornament even to the Stars that are in the Heavens at Night. In our rainbow-coloured texture we set forth the glory of the whole Universe—See thou to it, brother Magician, that thine own thread be strong, and pure, and of a colour brilliant in itself, yet ready to mingle in all beauty with those of thy brethren!—Aleister Crowley, Liber CXCIV: An Intimation with Reference to the Constitution of the Order
Thelemic Symposium is a panel discussion and question/answer session engaging the considerable experience and knowledge of three long-time Thelemites. We are proud to present this, the first annual Symposium, featuring panelists David R Jones, Content Love Knowles, and Frater Hrumachis.
The event will proceed as follows:
The Symposium will begin with the panelists introducing themselves by way of biographical and/or editorial commentary explaining their perspective on Thelema and how they came to embrace it.
After the introduction, each panelist will answer the following four questions. They have had time to prepare answers to these questions and they may, at their option, discuss each others' answers during this portion of the Symposium.
- How do you think that Thelema should develop in order to take its rightful place among other religions? What role do you think the OTO has to play in this?
- Is the political structure of the OTO tenable as a model of large-scale government in today's world? Why or why not?
- During the time in which you have been in the OTO, what are the major changes that you have seen?
- What role do you think the individual initiate has to play in determining the character of the OTO? You can use examples, good and bad, from your own experience.
Questions from the Audience
Following the "prepared answer" section, the audience will have an opportunity to pose questions to the panelists.
Finally, the Symposium will dissolve into a wine and hors d'oeuvres reception.
- Food & Drink
- Feast on a substantial selection of hors d'oeuvres and non-alcoholic beverages, included for the price of admission. You'll also find microbrews and wines available for purchase.
- Sekhet-Maat Lodge will have a selection of items for sale, including abramelin oil, mugs, stickers, SML lamen t-shirts, posters and more.
Saturday, February 19
Tickets available below.
- 7:00 PM - Symposium begins.
- 8:45 PM - brief break.
- 10:30 PM - Symposium ends.
- 10:30 PM - reception with cash bar and hors d'oeuvres.
Sunday, February 17
Suggested contribution of five dollars.
- 2:30 PM - doors open.
- 3:00 PM - doors close for celebration of the Gnostic Mass.
See the calendar entry for a listing of celebrants when this information becomes available.
Thelemic Symposium will not be Televised
Recording devices are prohibited at Thelemic Symposium. Non-flash photography is permitted. The restriction against recording is in the interest of promoting an atmosphere of immediacy, encouraging the panelists to speak candidly, and minimizing the "audience/performer" dynamic. Mediated content is very easy to find in the world today in video, audio, and text formats. Immediate content is rare, and Symposium aims to preserve a sense of immediacy because the topic is so personal. Panelists may choose to publish their prepared material on their own, but that's as close as you can get without attending.
Read about previous years' Symposia by browsing through our Past Special Events page.