Initiation Training Program
From Sekhet-Maat Lodge
Two of the most important objectives of Sekhet-Maat Lodge (SML) are:
- to create an environment in which initiates can have the best possible initiation, and
- to provide an opportunity to gain immersive exposure to initiatory symbolism through working the rites.
This document describes the process of becoming an Officer, and your continued training as a Coach and Chartered Initiator should you choose to pursue those responsibilities.
Man of Earth Officer Training
- 1. The Initiate requests to join the training program.
- Requirements: Initiates are at least I° and members in good standing of the OTO and of SML with a desire to learn more about the initiation process and assist the Lodge by offering their services as officers of initiation.
- 2. Initiate is provided with Training through our Officer Training Program.
- Requirements: Initiates who have requested to join the training program will be trained in accordance with our training program which consists of workshops for each degree focusing on the ritual, safety issues both for officers and candidates, memorization and elocution training, etc,. Officers who have attended these trainings for the degree, are considered trained and then eligible to be put on the Officer's Roster. Officers must be trained in each degree prior to being eligible to be on a team.
- 3. Continuing Education
- Requirements: Officers are encouraged to keep their skills up to date and enrich their understanding by attending initiations regularly, volunteering to work initiations frequently, and engaging in discussions, study, and practices as described in the study guides. If an Officer is unable to participate in initiations for an extended length of time, they are expected to dialogue with the Lodge Master regarding what training they may need to be included into the program again.
Man of Earth Coaches
- 1. Initiates who are interested in becoming Trainers or Chartered Initiators will request to be a Coach for degrees they are highly experienced in.
- Requirements: The Initiate must have officered in the degree they are requesting Coach status at least 3-4 times and have the ability to manage the initiation from beginning to end by themselves. Once the Initiate makes this request, the Initiators in the Committee will determine if the Officer is ready. They will then offer their services to team and facilitate newer less experienced officers in working the degree by helping and training with set up as well as blocking and other issues.
Man of Earth Initiator Training
- 1. Officer requests to join the Initiator Training program.
- Requirements: Officers who are interested in becoming a Chartered Initiator will be trained and experienced in all degrees of the Man of Earth. They will also work regularly as a Coach for various degrees and show proficiency in doing so.
- 2. Officer attends U.S.G.L. Initiator Training
- Requirements: Officers must be initiates of at least the III° and receive training in the U.S.G.L IT program.
- 3. Officer requests to join the SML Initiator Training Program
- Requirements: Officers will be scheduled to take the SML Initiator Training program which consists of 8 hours of didactic and hands-on training to become a Chartered Initiator for SML. Officers will be fully knowledgeable of the Lodge’s policy and procedures on Initiation.
- 4. Officer requests to exemplify a degree as an Initiator
- Requirements: The Officer then is expected to exemplify a degree of their choosing. The Officer will then manage, organize and perform the exemplification within the policy and guidelines of the Lodge. Exemplifying a degree is a part of the training process and does not automatically imply approval or support for a Charter to Initiate by the Lodge, the C.I.T or the S.G.I.G, but it does give the Officer a chance to be evaluated for the application process.
- 5. Obtain and fill out the Application for a Charter to Initiate
- Requirements: The Officer will have completed all of the training listed above and will be engaged in regular Coaching and possibly acting as a Trainer within the Officer Training Program. First Aid and CPR certification is required. Two signatures are also required on the application: the Lodge Master and that of an S.G.I.G. or C.I.T. The candidate for a charter will ensure that these attend the exemplification so they can then sign the form after observing the Charter candidate.
- 6. Become a Chartered Initiator
- Requirements: Initiators will be fully chartered through U.S.G.L. and abide by all requirements of U.S.G.L. Initiators sit on the Initiation Committee which meets quarterly. They will agree to abide by the guidelines set forth by SML. Initiators will also endeavor to continue their education by attending any advanced trainings, updates, workshops etc., offered either by the Lodge or U.S.G.L. If an Initiator is unable to participate in initiations for an extended length of time, they are expected to dialogue with the Lodge Master regarding what training they may need to be included into the program again.