Our quarterly initiations have been added to our Special Events page. You can now see upcoming initiations and application deadlines for the year on the same page as our other upcoming special events.
Archive for January, 2009
- We have added a new document to the Documents page: Stepping out of the Old Æon and into the New by Fr. Achad (C.S. Jones)
- Most readers did not notice that our 2008 Annual Report also contained several supplements, including completed goal status updates for 2008 ev, new goals for 2009 ev, the final treasury report for the year, and supplemental reports on Ecclesiastical Activity, Initiation Activity, and Internet Activity. These have some of the most interesting information, so don’t miss them!
- Information for all past Thelemic Symposium events and speakers beginning with 2002 ev has been added to the wiki.
Thelemic Symposium VIII
March 28, 2009 e.v.
Thelemic Symposium is a panel discussion and question/answer session engaging the considerable experience and knowledge of three long-time Thelemites. We are proud to present this, the eighth annual Symposium, featuring panelists Eliza McBryde, Michael Kolson, and Dathan Biberstein.
The Symposium will begin with the panelists introducing themselves by way of biographical and/or editorial commentary explaining their perspective on Thelema and how they came to embrace it.
- Three Questions
After the introduction, each panelist will answer the following three questions. They have had time to prepare answers to these questions and they may, at their option, discuss each others’ answers during this portion of the Symposium. The questions are:
- Crowley described Thelema as a solar-phallic religion. To some, this sounds like another way of saying "patriarchy." In what ways do you find solar-phallicism to be inclusive of women?
- In his New Comment Crowley writes, "Every fight is to be a fight to the finish; each one of us for himself, to do his own will; and all of us for all, to establish the Law of Liberty." In his recruitment drive for O.T.O., he recommends that we contact the Order to organize the fight for Liberty. In Liber Aleph, he notes that we "must by Law assure to every Man a Means of … protecting him from any that may seek to deprive him of these vertebral Rights." How do you see the Order serving the cause of Thelema in this vein?
- Our community has a long and honored tradition of being skeptical towards fundamentalism, and we have long heard about the problems of fundamentalism in Thelema. Can you see any aspects of it that might be beneficial to our work? What is your overall perspective on "Thelemic fundamentalism?"
- Questions from the Audience
Following the "prepared answer" section, the audience will have an opportunity to pose questions to the panelists.
Finally, the Symposium will dissolve into a wine and hors d’oeuvres reception.
- Food & Drink
Feast on a substantial selection of hors d’oeuvres and non-alcoholic beverages, included with admission. You’ll also find microbrews and wines available for purchase.
Sekhet-Maat Lodge will have a selection of items for sale, including abramelin oil, mugs, stickers, SML lamen t-shirts, posters, and more.
- Food & Drink
More information and online ticket sales at: http://thelemic-symposium.com
Sekhet-Maat Lodge has completed its Annual Report for 2008 ev. We strive to remain as transparent as possible so that anyone may examine our work in detail. The only things we have redacted from the report are matters pertaining to initiatory mysteries or private information about individuals.
We invite all our brothers and sisters in the Order as well as those outside the Order to come and explore our Lodge to find out about what we have accomplished in the last year, the challenges we faced, and what we plan to do in the coming year. We also welcome critique, feedback, and questions about our work.